My decision?

Just got back from the doc a short while ago. We’re 4 days from the official due date and things are looking good (plenty of amniotic fluid, good heartbeat, good fetal movement, etc.) – the only thing is that her head is measuring at 41 weeks – and that’s definitely on the bigger side! She did point out that if we wait another week, the baby will only be getting bigger. That’s something to consider.

She gave me the option of “augmenting” the labor (which is different to induction) since I’m already 2 cm dialated and 80% effaced. That basically means they would start me on a low dose of pitocin to see if they could jump start my contractions. I could do that as soon as Thursday. Not sure what the right thing to do is.

I find my mind being clouded by all kinds of logical and illogical reasoning. 10-11-12 would be a cool birthday… what if I left it alone and she was born on Oct. 13, hubby’s ex-wife’s birthday? Yuck. What if I leave it alone and her head is too big and I end up with a c-section? What if artificially starting labor has unintended risks, causes me a lot more pain – or just isn’t the birth I envisioned?

My doula pointed out that if they start the pitocin, I’ll be under constant monitoring and won’t be able to walk around – or labor at home as I had planned. Just how important this is to me or how much weight to give it against other factors, I’m not sure. I mean, I don’t know a single person whose birth went exactly as they’d planned it (okay, so I was hoping to be the first!) But how much does that matter in the end?

I’m feeling a bit lost right now. Maybe there’s no right or wrong decision on this? I just don’t know. I’m leaning towards allowing the augmentation on Thursday, but certainly haven’t made up my mind yet. I feel like I need to mull it over some more… maybe even sleep on it for tonight before giving the doc an answer. I wish there were a clear “right” answer… or at least some divine inspiration!

 

Advertisements

7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Daryl
    Oct 08, 2012 @ 16:39:31

    It’s so hard when there is no clear right or wrong. I hope you can make a decision you’re happy with, rather than having one made for you (aka c-section). Either way, I hope your baby girl gets here soon!

    Reply

  2. Laura
    Oct 09, 2012 @ 07:11:45

    Has your doctor discussed doing a membrane sweep? Maybe ask your Doula? My dad was sick and I was emotional at my last doctor appointment with Connor and I asked my maternity doc if there was anything to the sweep cause I felt like Connor wanted out. She said that if your body is ready it can help naturally speed things along. I asked her to see how I was doing and decide if it would be appropriate. She felt me and I was the same as you, 2cm dialated and 80%, so she did it. She told me sometimes it moves things along but if your body isn’t ready it won’t do a thing. If it works, you may go into labor within 48 hours. That was Thursday morning and 2am on Saturday my water broke. On the web it talkes about it being painful, but I truly didn’t find it painful, and the doc said that was because I was ready and some people have it done when there body isn’t ready and it hurts like hell. Just a suggestion!!

    Reply

    • msfertility
      Oct 09, 2012 @ 14:58:21

      Yeah, I actually found this to be the most disturbing part of my visit yesterday. I asked her about doing a membrane sweep and she casually responded, “Oh, I already did that on your last visit.” I didn’t say anything – mainly because I was so surprised – but it really pissed me off that #1, she didn’t ask me if it was okay to do that, and #2, that she didn’t at least inform me after the fact!

      Also, by way of update, today the perinatologist told me the baby weights between 7.5 and 8 lbs. – and that’s not scary at all! (But it did make me wonder, did the baby lose weight – or was his estimate way off last month?!?)

      Reply

      • Laura
        Oct 09, 2012 @ 16:20:21

        That would bother me too! I wouldn’t worry about the weight…they guessed Connor at 8-9 pounds and he was 6 pounds 6 ounces. You will do fantastic with the labor regardless of what happens. Connor had a big head and honestly, although not pleasant, wasn’t nearly as bad as I imagined and that was drug free. You will do great!

  3. msfertility
    Oct 09, 2012 @ 18:03:04

    Thank you, Laura! That’s pretty much exactly what I need to hear! 😉

    Reply

  4. Daryl
    Oct 20, 2012 @ 12:23:09

    I hope baby girl is here by now! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: